Areas of Expertise
- Bankruptcy Proceedings
- Damages & Lost Profit Analysis
- Expert Witness
- Forensic Accounting
- Fraud Investigation
- Internal Investigations
- Litigation Support
- Ponzi Schemes
- Turnarounds / Restructurings
- White Collar Crime
- Financial Institution
- Damages/expert witness in Welton USA v. Beats Electronics (Apple)
- Criminal defense financial expert for 10 defendants in largest counterfeit electronics case in U.S. history
- U.S. Government financial expert in money laundering case
- Financial and fraud expert for financial institution against national public accounting firm alleging audit malpractice for failing to identify multi-million fraud for one of their clients
- Forensic investigation for Fortune 500 company involving employee theft and embezzlement - Investigation led to the successful prosecution and jail time for the employee
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigation for Fortune 100 company with operations in Argentina - Work concluded with findings presentation to the SEC and DOJ in Washington D.C
- Financial and damages expert involving theft of trade secrets and breach of contract claims against former employees and their new company - Resulted in successful summary judgement against the plaintiff for failure to prove damages
- BS Arizona State University
- 1 Year with Firm
- 21 Years of Relevant Experience
Eric Lee is a financial and fraud expert with 20 years of experience. He serves in the consulting and testifying expert roles in litigation, forensic accounting, fraud and investigation services, bankruptcy and restructuring, and criminal matters both in the United States and internationally. He is a Certified Fraud Examiner and Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor. Eric has prepared expert reports, affidavits and disclosures and testified/presented as an expert in Federal, State, Military and Tribal jurisdictions.
Before joining GlassRatner (now doing business as B. Riley Advisory Services), Eric spent over 12 years in litigation, forensic and bankruptcy consulting with Grant Thornton and an Arizona-based public accounting firm. Prior to his career in consulting services, Eric spent over seven years as a Special Agent with the Federal government. During his tenure as a Special Agent, Eric investigated criminal and civil violations relating to fraud, money laundering, theft and embezzlement, public corruption and tax evasion.
Eric has significant experience in the preparation of expert reports and analysis, damages analysis, discovery assistance, rebuttal of opposing expert reports, and deposition/trial testimony preparation. Case experience includes:
- Forensic Accounting and Financial Analysis - Extensive experience conducting complex financial analysis and forensics related to multi-million dollar fraud schemes, analysis of complex financial accounts and transactions, fraudulent transfer and conveyance, analysis of securities transactions, international investigations and loss and damages calculations.
- Litigation Support - Experience related to loss and damages calculations analysis, financial expert opinions and rebuttal of expert opinions, bankruptcy-related matters involving fraudulent transfers and conveyance, discovery and trial preparation, testimony & cross/rebuttal preparation, document production/request, interrogatories, depositions and document management.
- Bankruptcy and Restructuring - Conducted various bankruptcy and restructuring related consulting and expert witness engagements such as: fraudulent conveyance; feasibility analysis (debtor and creditor); criminal defense expert for bankruptcy-related charges; surviving officer liquidation; debtor litigation against parent company for forced insolvency; distressed company consulting and debtor/creditor financial expert.
- White-Collar Fraud Investigations - Experience in conducting civil and criminal investigations into violations of securities and corporate fraud, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations, money laundering, white-collar fraud, public corruption, theft and embezzlement, tax evasion and national security issues, among others. Significant experience leading national and international investigations. Expertise in conducting interviews of witnesses and subjects and the collection and preservation of evidence (including e-discovery and electronic media).
- Criminal Financial Expert - Retained privately and by the government, public defender's office and appointed by federal courts as a criminal financial expert in state and federal cases related to bank, wire and mail fraud, bankruptcy fraud, tax evasion, money laundering, theft and public corruption. Submitted expert reports, affidavits and disclosures and testified/presented as an expert in Federal, State and Tribal jurisdictions.
Eric received his Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Arizona State University. Eric is a Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) and Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor (CIRA). He is currently serving on the ACFE Advisory Council, and is a member of the Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors (AIRA) and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA).