Senior Managing Director
Areas of Expertise
- Business Continuity &
- COVID-19 Return To Work Programs
- Crisis Management
- Cyber Risk Management
- Data Breaches
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Emergency Management
- IT Disaster Recovery
- Pandemic Planning
- Critical Infrastructure
- Financial Institution
- Higher Education
- Hotel and Resorts
- Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) - Implemented enterprise risk
management, business continuity programs, IT disaster recovery plans, cyber risk modeling, risk management initiatives and risk management guidance
related to major concession of Transmission and Distribution Directorate
- Global Hotel Chain with operations in 107 countries and territories - Developed
business continuity plans, board level crisis management planning and roll out of a global crisis management application to all entities globally
- Global Cruise Lines – Engaged by board and CFO to develop business continuity and crisis management plans that include the implementation of a crisis
management mobile application
- State of Nevada – Developed continuity of operations plans for 35 agencies, cities, towns, tribal areas and entities across the entire State of Nevada in a web-based tool called nevadacontinuity.com. Conducted full scale exercises and training related to FEMA/DHS class requirements
- AAS Austin College
- BSBA University of Phoenix
- 30 Years of Relevant Experience
Duane Lohn has extensive experience in advising risk, compliance, legal, audit committee members and board committees on operational risk and resilience, specializing in emergency and crisis planning, business and operational continuity management, data security, and cybersecurity.
Duane focused on BCM governance, crisis management frameworks, disaster recovery, and emergency and crisis communication tools for a broad portfolio of private, public, and education sector clients around their governance, risk, and compliance initiatives, and supporting their response to disruptions and crises. He understands the complex but practical relationships among cybersecurity, operational downtime, organizational resilience, and sustaining of long-term organizational reputation through confidence in leadership and oversight decision-making, governance, and management. He has led and participated in several large global rollouts of mobile app technology for cyber incident response plans, and business continuity, emergency, and crisis communication plans. This also includes escalation and notification capabilities.
Mr. Lohn was a managing director at FTI Consulting, a managing member and co-founder of Risk Solutions International LLC, a senior vice president of Marsh Risk Consulting, a senior manager at KPMG, and a member of senior management at Campbell Sales Company.
Duane's professional experience includes:
- Led the My Health My Resources (MHMR) Tarrant County business continuity initiative utilizing our web-based tool, which included business continuity plans for their departments and a tabletop exercise.
- Led numerous business continuity and disaster recovery initiatives at the following higher education institutions: New York University, University of Nevada, Las Vegas , Harvard University, University of San Diego, University of Nevada, Reno, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and Teacher's College of Columbia.
- Led BCM and crisis management programs for major global companies like Hilton Worldwide, W.R. Berkley Corporation's Iowa Operations and Sephora - developing strategic governance frameworks, response plans and mobile crisis management platforms for handling operational and reputational disruptions
- Led risk management, information security, and data governance teams to assess gaps in the cybersecurity programs of Fortune 500 and mid-market insurance companies, pension plans and financial institutions in conjunction with the New York State Department of Financial Services' new cybersecurity regulation, 23 NYCRR Part 500. This team conducts expert risk and gaps analyses, develops aggressive compliance strategies and road maps, and guides implementation of cybersecurity programs. They also identify high-functioning candidates for chief information security officer roles, as well as advise on program governance.
- Led cross functional teams in developing a business continuity plan for a multi-national organization. This plan included their headquarters located in Iowa, multiple plants and facilities, parts operations along with their global dealer network. The team completed department BIA's, risk assessment, data collection, plan development and a test that included the new plans for the plants and headquarter operations. This organization has operations located in China.
- Led a team in developing BCP plans for a large global multi-national manufacturer of glass (automobiles, architectural, cosmetic, consumable bottles). The company is headquartered in Monterrey, Mexico with operations throughout the US, and 13 other countries. Mr. Lohn also analyzed the interdependencies both internal and external and developed mitigation plans for each of the gaps identified.
- Acted as principal administrator on two research teams engaged by the Airport Cooperative Research Program of the Transportation Research Board of The National Academy of Sciences. In this role, Duane's team studied and reported on resilience issues in the US airport sector and developed custom software products to help airports develop their business continuity and emergency management plans.
- For FEMA, Duane led multiple teams in the State of Nevada that developed continuity of operations planning curricula and facilitated business recovery workshops in FEMA Region IV, along with most agencies across the state of Nevada including cities, counties, towns, and tribes, as part of UASI and Homeland Security grant initiatives.
Mr. Lohn received his AAS in Marketing from Austin College as well as his BSBA from University of Phoenix.