Areas of Expertise
- Bankruptcy Proceedings
- Chapter 11 Trustee
- Crisis Management
- Financial Advisor
- Interim Management
- Investment Banking
- Judicial Receiver
- Turnarounds / Restructuring
- Easterday Ranches, Advisor to Unsecured Creditor's Committee Chapter 11
- Nova BioSource Fuels, CRO Chapter 11
- Central Illinois Energy, CRO Chapter 11
- Moon Ridge Foods, Judicial Receiver
- Hillsboro Hospital, Chapter 11 Trustee
- BFA Western Illinois University
- MFA from Northwestern University
- 4 Years with Firm
- 23 Years of Relevant Experience
Brent King is an executive management and financial advisory professional with over 22 years' experience in distressed management and advisory services and over 32 years' experience as a corporate executive leader. Prior to joining GlassRatner (now doing business as B. Riley Advisory Services), Mr. King served as the founder of Prairie Advisors, a middle market corporate advisory firm that placed Mr. King into multiple interim management and advisory roles at heavily distressed corporations. Mr. King has served as the C-level executive or senior advisor to both public and private corporations.
Mr. King has extensive experience leading distressed businesses, operating complex start-ups and advising insolvent businesses. His roles include: CRO of public and private corporations in Chapter 11 bankruptcy; Chapter 11 Trustee; Judicial Receiver; advisor to corporations for pre-bankruptcy planning; forensic investigator of financial fraud; director of patent infringement defense; valuation advisor to buyers and sellers of corporate assets; and liquidator of manufacturing assets and facilities.
Mr. King has worked with corporations in a broad range of industry sectors, including: food and protein processing; production agriculture; biodiesel and ethanol production; metal manufacturing; plastic injection molding; automobile dealers; agriculture equipment dealers; livestock equipment distribution; and livestock and dairy production.
Highlights of Mr. King's restructuring and executive experience include:
- Financial Advisor to the Unsecured Creditor's Committee in the Easterday Ranches, a $250 million cattle and crop farm bankruptcy in the Western District of Washington.
- Ch. 11 Trustee of Hillsboro Community Hospital in Hillsboro, Kansas. Mr. King was appointed Trustee of this rural, critical access hospital in central Kansas.
- Court Appointed Receiver of Moon Ridge Foods, a Midwestern pork processing facility designed to produce pork for Asian markets with up to 5,000 per-day capacity.
- CRO of Grisham Farms, a commercial miller of poultry food premixes that are sourced exclusively from mill rejected, or post dated human food.
- CRO, Financial Advisor, or Court-Appointed Receiver to multiple production agriculture operations including a 5,000 acre row crop farm in Illinois, a 25,000 acre farm in the Central US, a 22,000 acre farm in the Central Plains, and a large mushroom farm in Pennsylvania. Mr. King's livestock cases include dairy operations from the Southwest US to the Midwest, and large swine facilities in the corn belt.
- CRO of Nova BioSource Fuels, a publicly traded biodiesel refinery with 60 MGPY capacity and state-of-the-art facilities. Mr. King led the company through the successful Ch. 11 that concluded with a $55 million dollar corporate sale that created a full recovery for the senior secured lender.
- CRO of Central Illinois Energy, a 50 MGPY ethanol manufacturer with grain elevator and electric co-generation facilities. Mr. King led this complex corporate entity with farmer cooperative ownership from its pre-bankruptcy planning through an $80 million dollar sale of the production assets.
- Financial advisor to secured creditors of Terra/Blue Sun Energy, a 15 to 30 MGPY biodiesel refinery with an advanced jet Biofuel pilot plant.
- Court Appointed Receiver of Eagle Homes (Stonebrook Crossing), an under construction residential and commercial real estate development in foreclosure.
- Interim CFO of Kewanee Corporation, a manufacturer of steel doors and vinyl windows in Chapter 11.
- Interim CFO of Classic Coach, a manufacturer of accessible van conversions in Ch. 11 bankruptcy.
- Interim CEO of Ag-Gressor Manufacturing, a truck body manufacturer of self-propelled agriculture sprayers in Chapter 11.
- CEO and founder of King Systems, a manufacturer and distributor of swine feeding systems. Mr. King founded this company and served as its CEO and inventor of its patented products. During the start-up phase, the business became a defendant in a protracted, international patent infringement lawsuit.
Mr. King is a Certified Turnaround Professional and a member of the TMA and ABI. He earned a BFA from Western Illinois University in Macomb, IL, and a MFA from Northwestern University in Evanston, IL. He is the named inventor of several US and foreign patents, an instrument-rated pilot, a musician, an experienced woodworker, and a graduate of The Leadership Trust.